Impressive cooker hoods from Novy!
Check out the Test Score for no less than 64 Novy cooker hoods on our online leader board. You can also check out 600 other cooker hoods from all the other major brands. Back to Novy, which has been manufacturing in Belgium since 1965. Their mission is admirable: to produce kitchen appliances that are well-designed, easy to use, durable, and – last but not least – quiet.
Gorenje's market share and recognition will grow!
Gorenje has a lot to offer. Which hood should you choose?
NeutraTEST explains cooker hood noise levels.
It is great news that since 2015 the dB numbers for kitchen extractor fans are available and reliable. Nevertheless, do pay attention to whether the indicated noise levels concern the minimum, maximum or the boost level.
An impressive lot of Miele extractor hoods!
Out of 27 cooker hoods only about half a dozen are what we would call ‘good’, the other 20 models are outright excellent. In other words, the performance is always up to scratch, but the recommended retail price varies tremendously and not always in a – for us – transparent way. We will concentrate on the core performance of the extractor hoods, and leave it up to you how much you may be willing to pay for the extras.
Bosch has a solid reputation in many areas, and cooker hoods is certainly an area where customers can put their faith in the brand. Some very good Bosch extractor hoods are sold in the UK, and we are convinced that there many more to come (see below).
One minor detail that we dislike is Bosch’s segmentation of their home appliance products into four levels (Series 2, 4, 6, and 8): in our view, it makes little sense for cooker hoods when you are looking at their features – apart from the fact that it somehow “justifies” the different price levels (RRPs).
Over the last 12 months, Bosch has adjusted the RRPs for many models: most have gone up, but do check the current market prices once you have shortlisted 2 or 3 models.
It is a bit surprising that Falcon, as the oldest and probably most prestigious British cooker brand, with a very strong identity and typical look, has been in and out of mergers, acquisitions, take-overs and change of product portfolios for the last 20 years.
Italian Elica is perhaps the world’s largest manufacturer of extractor hoods.
The number of different models they have is impressive and NeutraTEST has analyzed a good number (109) on the British market.
It could have been more, BUT for unknown reasons in Great Britain Elica 1) has chosen not to publish test data for its models, and 2) has given the models different names. This makes comparisons more difficult, for example when utilising test data from the continent for identical models.
On our cookerhood tests leaderboard we have chosen to use both the names used by Elica for each model: so, what we call “Edith Diva” is thus called “Edith” on the continent and “Diva” in the UK; “Audrey-Belle” is called Audrey in Europe and Belle in Great Britain and so on and so forth.
Test data for 15 cooker hoods!
The Italian brand, Zanussi, has been part of the Electrolux Group since 1984, and perhaps the name retains its association with Italy’s image for designer quality and tradition. In reality, Zanussi now constitutes the Electrolux’s entry-level brand for cooker hoods and other white goods (alongside AEG, Arthur Martin, Electrolux - and Faure in France and Voss in Denmark). Therefore, you may get a good deal price-wise, but you should not be too optimistic with regard to the overall performance.
In an article from 24th October The Economist concludes that “Should Britain ditch Ecodesign, EU manufacturers would not be entirely disappointed. They would at least have a nearby market where they could flog the below-standard, out-of-date appliances they could no longer sell on the continent.”
This may, to some extent, already be the case: some of the leading cooker hood manufacturers do not publish the EU datasheets, despite the fact that this has been compulsory since 1st January 2015.
COOKER HOODS AND EXTRACTOR FANS - OUR RECOMMENDATIONS
Read more by clicking on "Cooker Hood Guide" and then "Need to Know about Cooker Hoods"!
MOST READ COOKER HOOD TESTS & REVIEWS
Or go directly to our comparator to choose your cooker hood!
Based on our analysis of official EU data, compulsory as of 1 January 2015, we evaluate with one single character, called the NeutraTEST Score, the overall performance of each hood.
The scale ranges from 0 to 10, with 10 being the best.
We weight the extractor capacity of the hood measured in m3/h and the sound level measured in dB SPL (A), both at minimum, maximum and boost, by 60%. The remaining 40% is equally distributed between energy consumption and fat filter efficiency.
In addition, we continuously test hoods in our own laboratory.
To see which cooker hoods and extractor fans get the best NeutraTEST Score, head straight to our comparator!